Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Fifteen reputed Bloods street gang members were arrested for allegedly running a dog-fighting ring and dealing heroin containing the same additive that investigators linked to eight fatal overdoses, Nassau County authorities said.While executing search warrants, investigators rescued 11 Pit Bulls, seized gear used to train dogs to fight and recovered at least two guns, ammunition and brass knuckles. They also seized widely abused prescription pills, including Oxycodone, Codeine and Xanex in addition to heroin laced with fentanyl, a powerful painkiller that authorities said caused the fatal overdoses last year.“Operation Bloodsport exemplifies that clear and undeniable link between dog fighting and narcotics trafficking,” Acting Nassau District Attorney Madeline Singas told reporters Thursday during a news conference in Mineola.READ MORE: How Long Island is Losing its War on Heroin Authorities identified the alleged ringleaders as Shaheem Allen and Kwame Reaux, both 23 and from Freeport, as well as 23-year-old Daquan McLean of Roosevelt. The suspects rounded up are facing various charges, including conspiracy, drug possession, criminal sale of a controlled substance and dog fighting. They are accused of operating in Freeport, Roosevelt, Baldwin and Lynbrook.During the five-month investigation that led to the arrests, the suspects earned hundreds of thousands of dollars, police said, although Acting Nassau Police Commissioner Thomas Krumpter could not immediately provide a specific dollar amount. He said they seized 600 decks of heroin in one buy along, but also did not have a specific number for the total amount of drugs seized.In March, Nassau officials issued a a public alert warning of the deadly fentanyl-laced heroin. It wasn’t immediately clear if the heroin seized was sold by the same alleged heroin dealers who the fatal overdose victims bought from.Authorities said the investigation is continuing and additional arrests are expected. Nassau County SCPA officials also reissued Thursday their offer of a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction of those involved in illegal dog fighting. Investigators ask anyone with information about such cases to call the Nassau SPCA and 516-THE-SPCA.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
A total of 316 Indonesian crew members of the MSC Splendida cruise ship from Genoa, Italy, have been repatriated to Indonesia from the coronavirus-hit European country and arrived in Bali’s provincial capital of Denpasar on Monday.Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry said that the crew members, who returned home on Qatar Airways, had undergone health tests prior to their departure and they had not shown any symptoms of COVID-19.”During the whole repatriation process, the government through the Indonesian Embassy in Rome has engaged in intense communication with the crew members to ensure their conditions,” the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.Bali Manpower Agency head Ida Bagus Ngurah Arda confirmed that the Indonesian crew members had arrived at Bali’s I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport on Monday evening.They had their body temperatures checked as soon as they arrived at the airport and had their blood samples taken for COVID-19 rapid tests by the airport’s health authorities, he said.”The results came out negative,” Arda said on Monday.The 316 crew members would not be put into medical isolation, but he said they were required to undergo self-quarantine.Bali Airport Authority head Elfi Amir also confirmed that the 316 crew members of the MSC Splendida had undergone medical tests in Genoa and had been cleared to return home before departing for Bali, kompas.com reported.Read also: COVID-19: Indonesia steps up measures to anticipate influx of migrant workers returning homeItaly is now the country hardest-hit by the COVID-19 coronavirus in terms of deaths from the disease, with more than a third of global COVID-19 fatalities: 12,428 deaths. The European country recorded 105,792 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Wednesday, according to Johns Hopkins University.Prior to the crew members’ arrival, Arda said that Bali Governor I Wayan Koster had requested Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi to tell Indonesian missions abroad to do health checks, as well as swab tests, on Indonesian migrant workers who were to be repatriated from other countries to ensure they were not infected by the coronavirus.Only those who tested negative and healthy were therefore allowed to return to Indonesia, including to Bali, while those who tested positive or were suspected of having been infected should first be treated in the country where they had worked.Arda said that even though the returning migrant workers had brought health certificates and had not shown any fevers, Balinese authorities would take their blood samples for COVID-19 rapid tests as precautionary measures.”This is our effort to reduce any risk of further COVID-19 spread into Indonesia and Bali,” he said.Bali, which has seen its tourism industry reduced to shambles by the COVID-19 outbreak, has recorded some 25 cases, with two fatalities as of Wednesday afternoon.The Southeast Asian country itself has recorded some 1,677 COVID-19-positive cases across the archipelago, with 157 cases that turned fatal.More Indonesian migrant workers, including crew members of foreign cruise ships, were expected to return home in the coming days as the Indonesian Foreign Ministry said it was in the process of repatriating them.”The government, in cooperation with companies in charge of recruiting ship crew members, is set to repatriate other crewmen in the near future,” the ministry said.Topics :