Sidwell to serve ban

first_img A Football Association Independent Regulatory Commission have rejected a claim of wrongful dismissal after Sidwell saw red for a late challenge on Armand Traore after 79 minutes. “Following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today, Fulham’s Steve Sidwell has had his claim for wrongful dismissal rejected,” an FA statement read. “Sidwell was dismissed for serious foul play during his side’s game at home to Queens Park Rangers on 1 April 2013.” Press Association Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell will sit out a three-game ban after an appeal against his dismissal in Monday night’s 3-2 win over Fulham was rejected.center_img The 30-year-old’s ban will begin immediately to rule him out of this weekend’s trip to Newcastle, before matches against former clubs Aston Villa and Chelsea. last_img read more

No. 11 Syracuse’s defense collapses in 1-0 overtime loss to Cornell after scoreless 90 minutes

first_img Published on September 19, 2017 at 11:14 pm Contact Josh: jlschafe@syr.edu | @Schafer_44 Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse blanked an opponent through 90 minutes on Tuesday night for the first time this season, but the game wouldn’t be decided until almost nine minutes after regulation.  With just more than a minute remaining in the first period of overtime, Cornell caught Syracuse out of position. With orange jerseys swarming to the left of goalkeeper Hendrik Hilpert, no SU defenders stayed high on the opposite part of the box. When Big Red midfielder Tyler Bagley corralled the ball at the top of the box, he rushed it over to fellow midfielder Ryan Hill. By the time SU recovered, the rest of Hill’s teammates were already dog-piling on top of him in celebration.“I don’t get it,” junior Jonathan Hagman said, “how he became that open.”The lone goal of the match sank No. 11 Syracuse (4-2-2), 1-0, against Cornell (2-3-1) at SU Soccer Stadium on Tuesday night. Even though it mustered only one shot in overtime, the Big Red outlasted the Orange for the first time since 2001. Prior to the game, Syracuse had let up two goals in each of its last three games, including a loss last Friday against Louisville. When the defense finally broke through for a full 90 minutes against Cornell, it wasn’t enough. “The defense as a whole played well today,” Hilpert said. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textJust past the four-minute mark, Cornell fired its second shot of the game. Hilpert saved the first, falling late and swallowing the ball into his chest. The second flew directly to his hands off an outside shot from Cornell forward Kepler Despinos. The saves were two of Hilpert’s four on the night. Aside from the goal, Cornell’s next best opportunity to score came in the 55th minute. Caleb McAuslan dipped and dunked through the SU defense working across the box towards the right of Hilpert. The Cornell midfielder launched a shot which Hilpert denied with two hands. The ball advanced down the field where Cornell goalkeeper Mitchell Meyer stuffed Tajon Buchanan on one of Syracuse’s five shots in the frame. “For the attackers it’s always our job to win the game and for us to score the goals to win the game,” forward Adnan Bakalovic said. “But tonight we just couldn’t do it.” Last season Syracuse shutout its opponent 11 different times. When it played Cornell last season on Sept. 20, it had already shutout five teams in just seven matches. But as the shutout lengthened on Tuesday night, it never became clear that’d be enough for Syracuse to win.In the 79th minute, Harry Fuller cranked a shot to Hilpert’s right. It sailed wide and hit the outside of the cage. Fuller swallowed his face in his hands. It was one of three Big Red shot’s in the second half. The Syracuse crowd let loose a sigh of relief. It would take another 20 minutes for Cornell to get another legitimate scoring chance. That one went in the back of the net.“It doesn’t matter if you’re at three goals or one goal, you just didn’t get a shutout,” Hilpert said. Commentslast_img read more

Graham inspires STETHS to semi-final win

first_imgWestern Bureau: Neville Graham scored a blistering free kick yesterday to inspire St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) to a 2-1 ISSA-FLOW daCosta Cup semi-final victory over Lennon High in driving rain at the Juici Park in Clarendon. The winners will face Dinthill Technical High in the December 5 final. The Santa Cruz-based STETHS will now have a chance to add the biggest title of them all – the daCosta Cup – to their Ben Francis Cup win and keep them on track to winning three of the four schoolboy titles on offer. Graham, the STETHS left-back, has been playing like a man possessed all season and was all over the field, grimacing as a result of a leg injury that he has been playing through. Like an injured soldier, he battled on to score the opening goal in the 19th minute. His teammate and the competition’s deadliest striker, Michael Kerr, netted his 29th goal of the campaign from the penalty spot in the 66th minute, as STETHS regained the lead after Shawayne Nelson had equalised for the Merron Gordon-conditioned Lennon. It was yet another familiar outcome for STETHS as they seem always able to create goals and wins. Lennon hit back in the 50th minute after STETHS had taken the lead. Nelson outran his marker and struck a low, hard shot under STETHS goalie Kenroy Wallace to level the score at 1-1. But STETHS found the winner, when Kerr slotted home from the penalty spot, after the referee penalised Lennon for a handled ball in the box. STETHS came close to making it 3-1. Graham’s shot from an acute angle in the 77th minute had Lennon goalkeeper Shevoy Williams in serious trouble, but the ball failed to dip sufficiently and crashed against the crossbar, much to the relief of the entire Lennon squad and their band of supporters. A venue for the final is expected to be announced early this week by ISSA.last_img read more

9-year-old crushed to death

first_img…in car accident at orphanageA mother is blaming the system for the death of her nine-year-old daughter who was killed in an accident at an orphanage in Berbice.Dead is Neena Blaire, nine years old, formally of Edingburg, East Bank Berbice, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne). At the time of the accident, Blaire was at the Alpha Children’s Home located at 34 Gay Park, Greater New Amsterdam.According to reports, the little girl was playing in the front yard on Christmas Eve when a male teenager, who also resides at the home, started one of the two cars which was parked in the facility’s compound.Dead: Neena BlaireThe teen allegedly drove the car around the yard and at some point, put the vehicle in reverse. However, instead of pressing the brake, he put his foot on the accelerator. Reports are that the vehicle hit Blaire and she fell.The child, not seriously injured, got up but as the car continued to reverse, it hit out one of the banisters on the step and one of the spindles hit the child to the ground. The banister then fell, crushing the nine-year-old.Guyana Times understands that the caretaker of the home was out at the time of the accident.The child was rushed to the New Amsterdam Hospital in a taxi.Neena Blaire and her two sisters were placed in the Alpha Children’s Home after the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA) got involved following reports in the media of alleged child neglect.The dead girl’s mother, Venus Lalloo, also called “Anita”, was placed before the court for child neglect. The mother of 13 was fined $350,000 with an alternative of six months imprisonment. Four of her children were removed from her, including a baby.Lalloo could not pay the fine and was imprisoned. However, the Social Protection Ministry intervened and after three weeks, the fine was paid and the domestic worker was released from prison.Speaking with Guyana Times, the distraught mother said she was working when two persons from the CCPA came to her place of work and told her that they had some sad news for her.According to Lalloo, when she saw the officers from the Agency, she was of the view that they were there to talk to her about her baby, which was expected to be reunited with her. She said it was also one of her daughters’ birthday and she was expecting good news.“I blame the Child Protection Agency and the whole system for putting me in jail for something that was not so and for taking away the children. They did not listen to me at the Child Protection Agency; now they come to tell me that my child that they take from me dead. When they tell me that she pass away in Georgetown, I start to holler and the lady from upstairs run downstairs because I start to hit the post,” the frustrated mother said.Meanwhile, when this publication contacted one of the caretakers of Alpha Home, she declined to offer a comment, only saying that she was very traumatised by what happened. “I am not in the frame of mind to say anything on the matter. The keys were apparently left in the vehicle for some time now, waiting on the mechanic to come and fix it.”According to a Police source, the teenage boy is currently in Police custody assisting with investigations. Meanwhile, a post-mortem examination is expected to be performed on Blaire’s body this morning. (Andrew Carmichael)last_img read more