Indonesian cruise crew arrives in Bali from virus-hit Italy, tests negative for COVID-19

first_imgA total of 316 Indonesian crew members of the MSC Splendida cruise ship from Genoa, Italy, have been repatriated to Indonesia from the coronavirus-hit European country and arrived in Bali’s provincial capital of Denpasar on Monday.Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry said that the crew members, who returned home on Qatar Airways, had undergone health tests prior to their departure and they had not shown any symptoms of COVID-19.”During the whole repatriation process, the government through the Indonesian Embassy in Rome has engaged in intense communication with the crew members to ensure their conditions,” the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.Bali Manpower Agency head Ida Bagus Ngurah Arda confirmed that the Indonesian crew members had arrived at Bali’s I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport on Monday evening.They had their body temperatures checked as soon as they arrived at the airport and had their blood samples taken for COVID-19 rapid tests by the airport’s health authorities, he said.”The results came out negative,” Arda said on Monday.The 316 crew members would not be put into medical isolation, but he said they were required to undergo self-quarantine.Bali Airport Authority head Elfi Amir also confirmed that the 316 crew members of the MSC Splendida had undergone medical tests in Genoa and had been cleared to return home before departing for Bali, kompas.com reported.Read also: COVID-19: Indonesia steps up measures to anticipate influx of migrant workers returning homeItaly is now the country hardest-hit by the COVID-19 coronavirus in terms of deaths from the disease, with more than a third of global COVID-19 fatalities: 12,428 deaths. The European country recorded 105,792 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Wednesday, according to Johns Hopkins University.Prior to the crew members’ arrival, Arda said that Bali Governor I Wayan Koster had requested Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi to tell Indonesian missions abroad to do health checks, as well as swab tests, on Indonesian migrant workers who were to be repatriated from other countries to ensure they were not infected by the coronavirus.Only those who tested negative and healthy were therefore allowed to return to Indonesia, including to Bali, while those who tested positive or were suspected of having been infected should first be treated in the country where they had worked.Arda said that even though the returning migrant workers had brought health certificates and had not shown any fevers, Balinese authorities would take their blood samples for COVID-19 rapid tests as precautionary measures.”This is our effort to reduce any risk of further COVID-19 spread into Indonesia and Bali,” he said.Bali, which has seen its tourism industry reduced to shambles by the COVID-19 outbreak, has recorded some 25 cases, with two fatalities as of Wednesday afternoon.The Southeast Asian country itself has recorded some 1,677 COVID-19-positive cases across the archipelago, with 157 cases that turned fatal.More Indonesian migrant workers, including crew members of foreign cruise ships, were expected to return home in the coming days as the Indonesian Foreign Ministry said it was in the process of repatriating them.”The government, in cooperation with companies in charge of recruiting ship crew members, is set to repatriate other crewmen in the near future,” the ministry said.Topics :last_img read more

Religious affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19

first_imgTopics : Read also: Indonesia’s latest official COVID-19 figuresOman further said access to the Religious Affairs Ministry building in Central Jakarta had also been restricted for several weeks. The ministry had also imposed a WFH policy that applied to most of its employees.”We will optimize our online service system,” he said.There is no plan to shut down the office as of now, he added, however, the ministry planned to implement stricter access and health protocols.Fachrul also advised the public to remain disciplined in following the health protocols, Oman said.”Anybody could contract COVID-19, no exception. Let’s be empathetic, support one another, and do our best to follow the health protocols,” he said.Meanwhile, Presidential Secretariat head Heru Budi Hartono rectified on Monday his claim that Fachrul had not met with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo for one to two months.”The religious affairs minister attended a Cabinet Meeting at the Presidential Palace on Sept. 7. I’ve checked, thanks for the correction,” Heru said as quoted from kompas.com.However, he said, prior to the meeting, all ministers had undergone PCR tests.”At that time [Fachrul’s] test result came back negative,” he said.Read also: Jakarta secretary Saefullah latest high-ranking official to die of COVID-19Fachrul is the third minister to test positive for COVID-19.In March, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi was treated at Gatot Subroto Central Regional Hospital in Jakarta for COVID-19.Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Edhy Prabowo was also admitted to the ICU at the same hospital after contracting the virus earlier this month, Gerindra Party politician Sufmi Dasco Ahmad said.Both ministers have made full recoveries.  Religious Affairs Minister Fachrul Razi has tested positive for COVID-19, an expert staff member to the minister announced Monday, adding to the list of public officials that have contracted the coronavirus.“On Sept. 17, the religious affairs minister had taken a PCR test and the result came back positive,” Kevin Haikal said in a press statement on Monday.”Thankfully, he is in good condition and has shown no worrying symptoms.”The ministry’s spokesperson, Oman Fathurahman, said Fachrul had delegated his tasks to deputy minister Zainut Tauhid and other officials while he was recovering in isolation.”The minister ordered [officials] to continue the ministry’s programs and services and to focus on COVID-19 prevention in educational and religious institutions,” Oman said.”He also asked officials to disburse [social] aid. All coordination for the ministry’s programs will be carried out online,” he added.last_img read more

Family ties bring in the buyers at auction

first_imgThe opening bidder held on at auction to become the new owner of 49 Central St, CalamvaleWHEN the property at 49 Central St, Calamvale hit the market, the owners were confident potential buyers would appreciate the quality of their handiwork.The home sold at auction on March 18 for $645,000, according to LJ Hooker Sunnybank Hills sales consultant Jonathan Wang.“It’s a beautiful home, the owner built it himself, and he put a lot of effort into creating a really solid house,’’ he said. “(It has) terracotta roof and hardwood timber floors on a 740sq m block.” More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020Hardwood floors and great quality finishes at this Calamvale propertyMr Wang said he and co-agent Karl Gillespie were blown away by the owner’s thoughtful approach to the build.“The finishes and everything are in really good condition and (the owner) built a little room underneath the house for storage or a man cave,’’ Mr Wang said. ‘‘It was a really, really nice property.’’About 60 people attended the auction with three bidders fighting it out. Granite benchtops were among the home’s appealing featuresMr Wang said the opening bidder was the eventual winner and it was the drive to live near family that had him staying in front right through to the finish line.“There was another registered bidder that came in at around $600,000 and, in the end, the buyers who bid first, they really wanted the property. They had family living close.”Mr Wang said the market in Calamvale had continued to perform strongly this year.“There’s demand from people who want to be in the area, especially for really nice homes.’’last_img read more

Graham inspires STETHS to semi-final win

first_imgWestern Bureau: Neville Graham scored a blistering free kick yesterday to inspire St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) to a 2-1 ISSA-FLOW daCosta Cup semi-final victory over Lennon High in driving rain at the Juici Park in Clarendon. The winners will face Dinthill Technical High in the December 5 final. The Santa Cruz-based STETHS will now have a chance to add the biggest title of them all – the daCosta Cup – to their Ben Francis Cup win and keep them on track to winning three of the four schoolboy titles on offer. Graham, the STETHS left-back, has been playing like a man possessed all season and was all over the field, grimacing as a result of a leg injury that he has been playing through. Like an injured soldier, he battled on to score the opening goal in the 19th minute. His teammate and the competition’s deadliest striker, Michael Kerr, netted his 29th goal of the campaign from the penalty spot in the 66th minute, as STETHS regained the lead after Shawayne Nelson had equalised for the Merron Gordon-conditioned Lennon. It was yet another familiar outcome for STETHS as they seem always able to create goals and wins. Lennon hit back in the 50th minute after STETHS had taken the lead. Nelson outran his marker and struck a low, hard shot under STETHS goalie Kenroy Wallace to level the score at 1-1. But STETHS found the winner, when Kerr slotted home from the penalty spot, after the referee penalised Lennon for a handled ball in the box. STETHS came close to making it 3-1. Graham’s shot from an acute angle in the 77th minute had Lennon goalkeeper Shevoy Williams in serious trouble, but the ball failed to dip sufficiently and crashed against the crossbar, much to the relief of the entire Lennon squad and their band of supporters. A venue for the final is expected to be announced early this week by ISSA.last_img read more